conversation on the corner
Many a great accomplishment began from a glimmer of an idea.
The Woodbury Historical Society had its beginnings in just
such a manner.
The year was 1983. While standing on a corner in Woodbury,
engaged in a casual conversation with Murray and Roslyn
Duberstein, Margaret (Peg) Kirk mentioned a desire to start
a historical society in our town. That wish was enthusiastically
greeted and supported by the Dubersteins and a core group
of interested citizens who organized a meeting to get things
From this general gathering, a Steering Committee to establish
the Woodbury Historical Society was formed. The Committees
first meeting was held on Monday, June 27, 1983 at the home
of then Town Historian, Isabelle Babcock. In attendance
were: William Avener, Isabelle Babcock, Sheila Conroy, Murray
Duberstein, Margaret (Peg) Kirk, and James Seaman. Much
research and work had to be done to prepare all the documents
needed for submission to the State in order to form the
As they say, the rest is history. This proud organization
can trace its beginning back to a conversation on the corner.
on file at the Rushmore Building)
The University of the State of New York Board of Regents
provided the Societys first provisional charter in
December 1984. The Society was granted its permanent
educational charter in April 1998.
First Board of Trustees
Kathleen K. Mickey
Historical Society Facilities
Society began because of a growing need to preserve, protect
and educate Woodbury residents about their Towns history.
Today, this history is housed in two buildings:
The Rushmore Memorial Library
Gatehouse Learning Center
Web page on the Center for more about this interesting building)
The Woodbury Historical Society remains committed to collecting
and preserving the history of Woodbury. We thank community
members for their continued dedication to furthering documentation
and preservation of historical data for future generations
to share and enjoy.
Rushmore Memorial Library Building
The building in which our collection is housed was built
as a library in 1923 by the family of Charles E. Rushmore.
Yes, this is the same family for which Mt. Rushmore in South
Dakota is named. (Drop by the building for more information
about this fascinating connection. It is a story worth hearing)
The structure was designed and built by a local doctor,
Howard Gregory, on land purchased from Harry Adams. The
building has diamond-shaped windowpanes in leaded mullions.
Its fireplace is made of uncut stone with a plaque over
the mantle that contains a poem written by Jean Rushmore,
daughter of Charles and Jeannette Rushmore. The exterior
walls are puddin stone, a local conglomerate rock
with a distinctive pinkish color that was used frequently
for construction in this area. The roof has red terra cotta
tiles that give the building a Spanish look. The built-in
shelving and molding are made of solid and stately chestnut.
dates for Rushmore Memorial Library
1939: Mrs. Charles E. Rushmore deeded the library to
Mills Common School, designating it
Rushmore Memorial Library in memory of her
who died October 31, 1931.
Building transferred, along with Commons School
property, to the Monroe-Woodbury
1953: Library was legally annexed, funded by Monroe-
School District & chartered to
1956: Building transferred back to the Town of
1958: Name became Rushmore Memorial Public
It was used as the Towns public library in
1986: Became the office of the Town Historian and
of the Woodbury Historical Library.
library is the research and archival center of the Historical
Society. Volunteers staff the building during posted hours:
2:00- 4:00 P.M.
7:00- 9:00 P.M.
Appointments can also be arranged. Please feel free to contact
us to do research or to donate materials. We can be reached